This month we are taking a backstage look at the UK-based blog, Pinch Your Cheeks. I have a romanticized view of Europe and the beauty products they get over there (anyone else remember the Lancome Pop Petrol shade that the US never got?), so I had to ask a few questions to bring myself back down to reality. Here is Sultana patiently answering my ridiculous questions.
1) Tell us a bit about the beauty brands in the UK. Do you have pretty much the same thing we do here in the USA? Which exclusively British brands are your favorite?
We can pretty much get most things now, although you can usually only get l’oreal hip and cover girl over the net. GOSH and Barry M are UK based, Barry M is great for gorgeous, affordable nail polish. I haven’t really used much of their make up so cannot comment on them. Same with GOSH products. Lily Lilo is a primarily internet based mineral makeup company, and I think their foundations are fantastic. My skin tone is one of those mad in between colours for most foundations, but Lily Lilo seems to have such a great range of shades. No17 skincare is reasonably priced. Sanctuary and Soap & Glory body products are pretty good too.
2) If you could only take three beauty items with you to a desert island, which three would they be and why?
Good moisteriser with sunscreen, a nars multiple or mac multi purpose cream, and an eyelash/eyebrow dye kit!
3) What is your typical skin care routine like?
Nude oil cleanser, followed by ester lauder night repair serum, eye cream and any moisturizer I have on me. At the moment it’s caudalie day cream which is lush.
4) What beauty items do you always carry with you in your makeup bag or purse?
Eyeliner, mascara, blusher with brush, blotting paper (although I always forget to use them), lipgloss, amongst other things
5) Do you get spa treatments often? Why or why not?
I don’t have much time for spa treatments, but tend to go maybe once every four months to a sauna. I try and do a facial every couple of months, with a facial at home in between. Usually, I will treat myself to a spa treatment when I go away somewhere nice
6) We are all about mascara – what brand do you personally spend your money on and why?
I really like the Clinique High Impact Mascara – really makes my lashes look thick. I don’t really spend too much money on mascaras as they have to disposed of more quickly compared to other make up. But after my recent disasters with drugstore ones, I have been eyeing up some high end brands which I might pick up in the next couple of weeks.
7) If an American beauty junkie who loved to shop was visiting London, what places should she not miss?
Superdrugs and Boots should be on top of anyone’s list. Depending on how big the store is, they stock nearly everything. Prices on products vary in Superdrugs and Boots (sometimes by pounds), so I would recommend trying both stores out before purchasing something.
© 2010, Retrodivas Beauty. Some rights reserved. Retrodiva’s Beauty Blog by Meredith Edwards-Cornwall is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. Based on a work at www.retrodivasbeauty.com.